Reviving the blog: Catching up on publications...



It has been a while since I last posted on my blog. But I have decided to revive it in anticipation for the release of my first poetry collection "An Array of Vapour" with TSL booksI'm really excited to share this collection with you!


But first, I want to catch on the wonderful journals that have published my poetry since the summer of 2022. You can click on the titles to navigate to the poems or the publications 😊.


'Soil', in Furrows by Green Ink Poetry




In August 2022, I was ecstatic to have my poem ‘Soil’ published in ‘Furrows’, a print collection by Green Ink Poetry. This poem was written in honour of Wendell Berry, whose own writing and work are an endless source of inspiration for my poetry and life. 


This was my first time being published by Green Ink, and it was especially exciting because this is such an outstanding edition. It was such a privilege to be published alongside such amazing authors and inspiring pieces. 





‘Corfu’ Published by Macrina Magazine.

This sonnet is inspired by the beautiful nature, and especially the exquisite pebbles of the beaches of the Greek island of Corfu. Macrina has just launched there brand new website which is looking great, so why not check out some other important and inspiring content while you're there.


The sonnet begins with my son's young voice calling one to look closer, and that idea led me to make this video for the poem: 







 ‘Autumn Home’ published in issue 6 Of Paddler Press.





Paddler Press, edited by the multi-talented Deryck Robertson have been wonderful enough to publish my work in several of their beautiful print editions, and they are an amazing press to work with. I was especially excited to have this poem 'Autumn Home' published in Issue 6, and was so honoured that they chose a section of this poem for the back cover of the volume.  


‘Photoluminescence’ published in the online collection ‘Luminescence’, by Green Ink Poetry. 

It was a pleasure to be published again by Green Ink Poetry in October 2022. This poem was inspired by swimming in bioluminescent plankton at Phra Nang Beach in the Krabi region of Thailand. This was an other-wordly and overwhelming experience, and I'm really happy that Green Ink gave me the opportunity to share this poem with a wider audience. 


‘Horatio’s Journal, the Night Before the Duel’ published by Wine Cellar Press.

I was really proud for my first published poem of 2023 to be a sonnet inspired by one of my favourite Shakespear plays. I find the multiple layers of Hamlet's personality and suffering to be so fascinating and am really thankful to Wine Cellar Press for publishing this work.



‘Shellshock’ Published by Spill Words.

This poem was written the day that Russia launched its full scale invasion of Ukraine. At the time I was a freelance English teacher with students in many countries including Russia and the Ukraine. I remember the overwhelming feeling of helplessness watching the news, and waiting for updates from a young family who lived just outside of Kiev, a sense of helplessness I shared with my Russian students who have been largely opposed to the war.





Gospearth’ and ‘Chapel’ published by The Agape Review.


At the start of April 2023 I was really pleased to have two poems published by The Agape Review. 'Gospearth' is another poem that owes a lot to Wendell Berry, and explores the Good News of the gospel, and the good news of the living soil. 

'Chapel' is a celebration of natural growth, and nature as the best venue for expressions of the church. It owes a lot to Malcolm Guite, especially his interpretations of the medieval poem 'The Dream of the Rood' both in books and podcasts.




‘Personality’ published in the Spring 2023 print edition of Calla Press.



It was a privilege to have my poem "Personality" published in the beautiful Spring 2023 print edition of the Calla Press Journal. Calla have since started publishing beautiful books for all ages. Check out their  shop and buy a book, you'll be supporting a brilliant blossoming new press.








‘A Sonnet for C.S. Lewis’ published in the online journal of Calla Press.

In April 2023 Calla Press also published my 'Sonnet for C.S. Lewis'. This is the fourth in a series for The Inklings that have been published in different journals. 'For the Inklings' was published by Ekstasis, 'For Owen Barfield' was published on the blog of the Owen Barfield Literary Estate, 'For Tolkien' was published by in Issue 7 of the Lothlorien Poetry Journal. The full mini-series, including the sonnet for Charles Williams, will be published in my second collection 'A Handful of Prayers' that is forthcoming with Wipf & Stock



I was absolutely ecstatic to have four poems included in this edition of Dreich. They are a wonderful journal and Jack Caradoc is such a brilliant advocate for poetry in Scotland and around the world. 


Three of the four poems were written from my experiences working with the homeless, and are included in 'An Array of Vapour', so I'll talk about them in a future blogpost. The other poem 'Grow' was inspired by son, and all that being his father is teaching me. It is one of the sonnets I am most proud of, and it was irresistible to turn this moment, of him painting sunlight into puddles, into a video to image the poem:




It was such a joy to collaborate with Paddler Press again for this beautiful issue, 'Grace Notes'. I really enjoyed being included in the issue, as the guest editor Shane Schick is a wonderful poet and writer, who you should really check out! 


Showcase of Five Poems on Fevers of the Mind  

I'm really thankful to David L O'Nan for publishing this showcase of my work. David is such an inspiring advocate for so many new poets and continually puts out interesting and inspiring work and interviews. This post includes five previously unpublished poems that explore aspects of parenting, the experience of Covid lockdowns, the importance hospitality and escaping to nature.


'Silence' published in the East Ridge Review

This was the fastest that one of my poems has ever gone from being written to being published. That's largely thanks to the fresh and efficient process that Editor in Cheif, A.R. Williams has created for the East Ridge Review. He has an amazing eye for short sharp poetry of powerful imagery, and also writes great poetry of this sort, himself! This poem was written about the experience of listening to the silence while canoeing on a lake that crosses the boarder of Norway and Sweden. 


'Human' Published by Green Ink Poetry.

My third poem published by Green Ink Poetry is the last poem from my debut collection to be published in a journal. 'Human' was inspired by the work of environmentalist, poet, activist and academic Alastair McIntosh. His activism and deep thinking touches both the land and people with compassion and understanding. If you don't know Alastair's writings then start with 'Poacher's Pilgrimage', or 'Soil and Soul', or to get a taster listen to one of his Nomad Podcast interview's.  

I'm especially thankful to Alastair for, not only reading this poem when I sent it to him, but for such encouraging feedback, helping me fix ending of it, and most of all for remaining in touch. 



So, a huge thank you to these journals for publishing my work over the last year and a half, and thank you to anyone who has read them, for your encouragement and support. My next blogpost will start introducing elements of my debut collection which will be released very soon. Exciting times... 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 8 or 9

An Array of Vapour - Matthew Heasman's endorsement and New Hope